Monday 10 November 2014

DIY // HALTER CROP (make your own crop top in 10 easy steps!)

So I was planning my look for a shoot with dear Maddie from Little Black Beau and I realised as all girls do far too often, that I had nothing to wear. My beautiful man brought me back a few pieces from London so I did have a few new things but I did not have a top to wear with my new skirt. Desperate and poor, I decided to get creative and make a crop top, tricky thing was that my sewing machine wasn't set up and I couldn't find a needle and thread anywhere. You may at this point be wondering how I was going to make a crop top if I couldn't sew it.. my answer to you is simple.. Staples. It sounds shocking but it actually works really well, I've used staples for a few emergency mends in the past and I always use staples when I'm making toiles (paper versions of designs) but I've never actually made a garment using staples before. Seeing that the fabric I had on hand was quite stiff and structured, it made it very easy and as long as you drape the garment on yourself and give it enough room to put it on, it can last for as long as you need it to.

I'll take you through a step by step of how the top was made. I'm really pleased with the result and it only took me about 20 minutes to make.



Materials

2 types of Fabric (half a meter in one, 10cm strip for the other)
Chalk
Scissors
Stapler
Staples

or you can use needle and thread or a sewing machine

STEP 1: Fold the larger piece of fabric in half, making sure that the finished edge of the fabric is your hem (this will prevent fraying)



STEP 2: Using the folded edge as a guide, decide on how long you want your top to be, it helps to hold it against yourself in front of the mirror. Using the chalk, mark the length and the width of the top, you want to leave about 2 cm for the side seam. now draw a pentagon shaped neckline



















STEP 3: Follow the chalk lines and cut through the folded fabric in the shape of your top


 

STEP 4: Fold down one of the sides and cut along the fold line to create the back
































STEP 5: Staple or sew the side seam to form the base of your top (hint: make sure you try it on before you sew or staple, leaving a little extra room to pull it on and off)

STEP 6: Get your other piece of fabric and cut a 10 cm strip

STEP 7: Fold the fabric over the neckline making sure it is centered and start stapling/sewing

STEP 8: Try on the top and tie the ends of the strap around your neck. If you have time you can trim and add in a hook & eyelet or buttons but since I was in a rush, I just tied it.




























STEP 9: Look in the mirror baby, you've just made your own halter crop!

STEP 10: Take a selfie and send it to me. Tag me on instagram @denver_styles, mention and #denverstylesblog I would love to see your creations!

This is a great way to get rid of scrap fabric and save some dollars. I love my new Halter Crop and hope you all find this DIY as easy and as fun as I did. A big thank you to Maddie for shooting the look pictured below.
































A big thank you to Maddie's dear Mum who let us shoot on her beautiful property, Emerald is such a beautiful part of Victoria, definitely going back soon. As always I hope you enjoyed reading and I look forward to seeing your own versions of my crop top.


Peace & Love to you all.

xox

No comments:

Post a Comment